An Afternoon with Oklahoma Authors - Sept 23!
Join us for an afternoon of meeting local authors! On Saturday, September 23rd from 12:00-2:00pm, Best of Books will be hosting many excellent local published writers, who will be signing copies of their books!
Authors attending will be:
- Gene Triplett, author of Mr. Gone
- Gene Triplett is a veteran newspaper journalist who served ten years as city editor of The Oklahoman, the state’s largest daily newspaper. He won numerous awards for his breaking news and entertainment coverage, film and music reviews, and feature writing. He lives in Oklahoma City with his wife Carol. In 2017 he was inducted into the Oklahoma Journalism Hall of Fame. Mr. Gone is the follow-up to his 2016 debut crime novel, Wheel Man.
- John Thompson, author of A Teacher's Tale
- John Thompson graduated from Oklahoma City University and earned a doctorate at Rutgers University. He is an award-winning historian when crack and gangs hit my neighborhood in the 1980s. He became attached to the kids in the drug houses and became an inner city teacher. He worked on holistic, science-based reforms during the MAPS for Kids process and saw the progress that could be made. Then came the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. His book, A Teacher's Tale, is a case study in teaching in the age of school "reform." It explains how reforms designed to help poor children of color backfired, and turned his run-of-the-mill inner city school of John Marshall into Centennial High School, a school as troubled as the toughest schools in Baltimore or Chicago.
- Doug Hoke, chief photographer for The Oklahoman, will be displaying his artwork!
- Doug Hoke has been a staff photographer at The Oklahoman 40 of his 43 years in photography. Sports, Fashion and portraits have been the staple of his work at The Oklahoman, but he has not limited himself to any one area of photography. Currently he is exhibiting and selling fine art photography, capturing abstracts out of everyday life.
- Drs. Kevin & April Morford, authors of Unexpected Wellness: A Radically Simple Approach to Healthy Living
- Drs. Kevin and April Morford have a combined 30 years of experience in health and wellness. Dr. April is also a certified yoga instructor and Dr. Kevin is an instructor at OSU-OKC. Both have spoken at conferences and events here and around the U.S. They practice at Chiropractic Now in Edmond and spend most of their leisure time with their beautiful daughter.
- Queila Omena, author of Broken to Blessed: An Encounter with God's Healing and Purpose
- An Evangelist from Brazil, Queila Falcao De Omena has a passion for healing broken hearts. Overcoming her own trials, Queila offers hope and encouragement for people facing depression, anxiety, sorrow, bitterness, loneliness, and anger. She shares the victory she found in the unconditional love of Jesus Christ. Queila is also a journalist. She won Journalist of the Year 2017 from the Oklahoma Collegiate Media Association and is currently pursuing a Master’s degree in Global Christian Leadership at Southwestern Christian University. Broken to Blessed gives hope for people who may feel abandoned, rejected, and misunderstood. The words and personal testimonies in this book will uplift, and bring strength and wisdom for people to move forward as they learn to focus on their future instead of their past mistakes. Queila believes everyone has been given an opportunity for a new beginning and a fresh start to live a life of joyful abundance. For Queila, Jesus is the answer to all life’s challenges.
- David DeGeorge, author of Internment
- David DeGeorge is the author of Friendship, a coming-of-age novel, Internment, a suspense story, and Chalktrauma, a horror novel, to be published in November. He’s also had short stories in various genres published. A couple of the short stories were finalists in writing contests. If he’s not writing, reading or drawing, he’s talking to or visiting his nieces.
- Connie Rish, author of A Tapestry in Time: The Return of MoChre
- Connie Rish is a classically trained artist working from her home studio in Edmond Oklahoma. A growing interest in genealogy led her to the discovery of her family's history. Beyond discovering that she was of Scottish descent, her research took her back to the dark ages of the Scottish Chieftains, and the Stewart kings of Scotland. Finally after actually visiting the Isle of Bute, the home of her ancestors, all of her research was confirmed. Upon returning, Connie was inspired to combine her love of art history, and her own family lineage, to create the historical fiction series, A Tapestry in Time. Book one, The Return of Mochre, was released in the summer of 2016. Additional family research discovery led her to continue the saga with the second book The Oracle of Bute which is scheduled to be released in the fall of 2017.
Come meet them, chat with them, and add to your collection of signed books! We cannot wait to see you there!
Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 12:00pm to 2:00pm
1313 E. Danforth
Edmond, OK 73034